Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Curiouser and curiouser

Just a quickie to let you know I'm still in the land of the living - just. Interestingly (or not) I've been feeling pretty ok - tired with muscle weakness but generally fine. Yesterday I found some roving that I'd been practicing natural dyeing on and spun it up. It was dyed with logwood and had an alum mordant. Within an hour of starting I had full on M.E flu type symptoms I get when I've been in contact with chemicals. Today I feel like I have the worst hangover. Now, I've been sloshing the acid dye around like there's no tomorrow for about 3 weeks and haven't felt a thing. It interests me greatly that I can't cope with 'natural' dyeing as the M.E is usually a pretty good indicator of there being 'nasties' around. Are we being led to believe that natural is better when sometimes it isn't? Could it be that synthetic dyes are less damaging? I can't really find a definitive answer on the net but it's been interesting to find that many companies who are striving to lessen their environmental footprint use synthetic dyes. A dilemma show nuff!

3 Comments:

Blogger Minnieknits said...

I know some of the mordants used are poisonous and wonder if logwood has any kind of 'medicinal' properties and may work in the way homeopathic medicines work i.e small quantities lead the body to think its 'unwell' and so your natural defences kick in to counteract. You may have inadvertantly o.d on homeopathy! Its a dilemma - the whole natural v manmade and frankly, I just don't know whats best, maybe a balance of both?
Hope you're feeling better soon and can get back to that dyeing (pics soon please!)

1:39 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Some of the nastiest substances known to man are plant alkaloids (is there a 'y' in there somewhere ?) apparently. Nasty reaction though, take care.

6:33 PM  
Blogger n said...

We sometimes think that because a thing is "natural" it will be less hazardous, but it isn't always the case and sometimes natural remedies interact with synthetics in the same way as any other medicine would. I was recently asked by a GP if I was using St. John's Wort before he prescribed something for me because there was a known interaction. I am just about to dip my toe into the world of dyeing and have been considering whether to use natural or synthetics. I think I'm coming down on the side of synthetics, partly because I want a result I can replicate, but partly because the synthetics come with known hazard warnings on the pack wheras a little bag of dogwood chips doesn't. I might want to sell my yarn too, and I don't want any purchaser to be at risk.
Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |