Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Woolfest, a rant, some good news and looking for a lost customer!

Woolfest - what can I say? It was a very mixed bag for me. The absolutely best bit was meeting fellow bloggers and 'internetista's' who were all so lovely and re-meeting some who I'd met before who were still just as nice as they were last time - lol. I was lucky enough to have a stall next to Chrissie from Bright Dyes who I 'knew' from the Dropped Spindle forum. Chrissie and her mum were great fun and it certainly helped to be next to them both for the 2 days. Meeting Badger and seeing some of the places he'd had his picture taken made me hoot with laughter.


I knew it wasn't going to be the right marketplace for me but I'd booked it before I decided to focus on the felt so we treated it as a holiday. As it happens I did much better than I thought I would and I managed to more than cover my costs. Coming from a rural setting I didn't expect to be so affected by the overwhelming smell of sheep pee that pervades the whole of the auction mart but by day 2 I was definitely happy to leave that behind - lol.













The most negative aspect of the event for me was the amount of people who openly said they were going to pinch my ideas. People would come past and say 'Wow, that's a great idea, I'm going to pinch that' and then look at me waiting for me to smile. One woman even took photos so she could remember how to do it when she got home. Now, at an event like Woolfest I fully expected people to look around for ideas and inspiration but to openly tell me in such terms when I'm trying to make my living making and selling the stuff is crass, rude and ignorant. Someone has said they take pictures to remind them of the event, just for personal use, and I don't have a problem with that at all (still nice to be asked first)- another woman came past and said 'This is lovely, very inspirational, I'm going to go home with lots of ideas' and I don't have a problem with that either - it's quite flattering. However, it is very disheartening (and fairly insulting) to have people just tell you outright they're going to steal your idea. So, if you're tempted to tell a craftsperson/designer/maker/artist that you're going to copy their work - DON'T!!! It might lead to an increase in cases of stall rage - lol. The ideas behind stuff like the soaps, bags etc are all out there in various places - free for anyone to find - I even have free instructions for felted soap right here on the blog. However, if I find anyone has pinched my 'design' ideas and is reproducing them for sale I will hunt them down and give them a spinectomy! Be warned :D



And breathe - lol.

Cumbria is a very beautiful place and, despite the torrential rain, we enjoyed camping. This was the 'view' we woke up to most mornings


















That's the rain on the tent. I really liked the pattern the rain made so I'm going to try to use it as an 'inspiration' lol

We were just down the road from Castlerigg Stone circle and we had a potter round there on the friday night - very lovely





























Now for the good news! Remember the fuss with the cow and the lost calf? Well, the farmer whose bull and dodgy fences were responsible has given us a 3 month old heifer as a replacement. We still won't have any beef for a year but she certainly goes some way as a recompense and she'll be excellent company for Rusty. As soon as she arrived she tried to escape but within half an hour she was cuddled up with Rusty and a couple of sheep















It's a dreadful photo but I had to take it from miles away so as not to scare her. She'd been licking the sheep just before she settled down - strange girl. They're in a huge field but they picked a tiny place to make a sheep sandwich - lol.



So! Now for the lost customer. When I got back from Woolfest there was an email from a customer who had bought some stuff and wanted to order more. I think she's called Pauline Onley? She's definitely called Pauline anyway. Unfortunately the email she gave me bounces and I can't get in touch with her. I've left a message on the site and on a couple of yahoo groups but I can't really do much else. If anyone reading this knows her or indeed if she's reading it herself could she email me at cledryyarner@dsl.pipex.com many thanks :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

Nice to find your blog..as oppose to your website, I'm so embarrassed that after 10 hours circling Woolfest, I never saw your stall, but glad that I'm not guilty of saying I'll steal your ideas. (Jo from the yahoo weavers and spinners group)

8:55 AM  
Blogger miss mandy of flitwick said...

camping in the rain just made it more fun, lol, hopefully I will be seeing you at Fibrefest aswell, I have just bitten the bullet and applied.
As much as I liked your title of "Cledry Yarner the source of free ideas and inspiration", they will never be able to make them aswell as you can

11:39 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

It was lovely to see you again, however briefly:) Did you get the hang of that finger knitting LOL I have yet to try it .
Great news re new heifer

3:03 AM  
Blogger Badger said...

It was nice to meet you! The photo of the badger hiding in your basket of roving is due to make an appearance on the blog very soon :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger ra said...

It was good to meet you, glad you survived the weekend and got home in one piece.
I can't believe that people can be so dim about stealing your designs. We all get sparked off other peoples work but to actually say that you're going to copy something!?!
I love that egg and ketchup bag (have to make one myself!(Only kidding!!!))

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |