Thursday, July 13, 2006

Urgh

I feel a relapse looming :( All the signs are there. Severely twitchy, weak muscles, my lungs hurt, my throat hurts, my head hurts and I'm not sleeping. I can't string two words together and the slightest noise is like having my head in a metal bucket. I have to have all the doors and windows shut because the noise of the birdsong is driving me nuts. Basically I feel like I've done 10 rounds in a boxing ring. Sometimes I only feel this bad for a weeks or so, sometimes it goes on forever. I'm sincerely hoping it's the former. I have to go to Wiltshire tomorrow for 3 days. My middle boy is playing in a chess tournament and I promised him and his younger brother we could go to Longleat. They're bouncing off the walls with excitement - I'm wondering how I'm going to get through it - lol. Maybe 'Doctor Theatre' will kick in just in time.

I'm rather short of portable projects so I dug out some yarn I made earlier in the year and have started some socks.




















The greeny/orangey one is some cheviot roving I dyed and spun while I was waiting for our Dorset to come back from Natural Fibre. It's a hard wool so I may add some leather soles to the socks and make them more of a slipper affair. The brown is Alpaca blended with Shetland and if there was enough of this I'd make a pair of socks and never take them off - it's sooooo soft. But needs must when a yarnaholic has no projects on the go so a stripey mix of hard/soft it is :)

I'll be back on Monday evening and hopefully will have some pics from Longleat if I have the energy to actually go. Wish me luck.

10 Comments:

Blogger RooKnits said...

Good Luck! Hope your weekend goes well. Love the socks. I think green and brown is a very definite sock theme going on at the moment. Love the fairy tale idea BTW... people at work suggested I should get a long blonde wig for the occasion!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Sounds like your recent run-in with BT and that other person has got to you, take care, I hope it's not long before you feel better. Longleat is lovely lots of space. There is also a Bison farm not too far away (off the 303 at west Knoyle) http://www.bisonfarm.co.uk/index.htm and sometimes they have the underfleece for sale, unfortunately not when I was there but it's even lying around in the fields!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

*sharp intake of breath* Rita said fleece! I'm off to look at that site right away :) I think you're right about BT rita - it exhausted me. The other person? Well, him and his wife are still following me round the net - she's posted on a forum this morning quoting something I said on another forum in May! I must have pushed some kind of button - maybe she just wants to be me - lol.

I'm just going to shove loads more Earl Grey down my neck and then we're off to pick up the hire car - ours won't make it.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Roo - I thought the socks I'm making looked familiar - they look very like the ones you're making don't they? Bet yours are nicer - softer. Promise us you won't try to do a Rapunzel - you could put your back out - lol.

12:25 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

The yarn and the socks look fabulous! I do hope you are feeling better soon, and have a nice time at the chess tournament!

4:04 PM  
Blogger acrylik said...

The yarns and socks are lovely. Here's hoping all goes well for you this weekend.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Artyblartfast said...

Well maybe I can distract you with a really newbie type question?
I've been dying jute this week with no real problems, but generally I've wrapped lengths of it around my hand and dropped it in and it appears to have got a bit tangled. So the questions are; Is there a best length to use? Is there something else I should bear in mind?
NB: I'm only using an old pan for dyeing so it's only about five inches deep.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I tie my skeins off in several places. I don't think it's a problem wrapping it round your hand but I'd definitely tie it with waste yarn in a couple of places. Jute - how exciting. I have some hemp that I haven't got round to dyeing yet - must get on with it :)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Artyblartfast said...

Ah the tying makes sense now that you mention it. Some "skeins" have become a bit tangled with others as well and tying would lessen it. Thanks for the tip.
I've got another question about dyes if you can bear it. I've been using dylon hot dyes, and being a skin flint I've cooled them and bottled them. Now I know they get weaker in colour the more you use them but is there any danger of them going off?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I tried to store some acid dyes in ice cream tubs and they went mouldy. It took a couple of months though iirc.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |