Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Here's a tea cosy to keep you going




















I made that a few weeks ago but didn't have the energy to finish it with the marabou along the bottom. It's actually a cosy for a coffee pot but we won't worry about mixing our beverages here.

I've been having a bit of a dilemma regarding the felt. It's simply too energy sapping to make it from raw fleece. I have to wash it, dye it card it etc etc and that means I can make about one piece every couple of months. That way madness lies :D However, I won't buy fleece/wool that has been mulesed (I've written about that before) So! I found a place today that sells merino cross, dyed tops from a chemical free farm in the Falklands. They're going to ask the farmers if they mules their sheep but it seems unlikely that they do . Maybe I can make a reasonable amount of felt pieces if I don't have to do it from raw fleece. Fingers crossed.

I found a bag of washed, pale grey shetland in my studio so I started blending it with some of the caramel alpaca to spin for a simple lace scarf for my mothers' Christmas present. It was coming along nicely and I got three 30g batts and then my cat (who is studio-bound with a broken pelvis) decided to do the smelliest poo she could muster so I had to leave the room - ROFL! I'll post some photos when the smog has cleared (of the batts, not the poo)

Tonight I am off to see The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain at Falmouth. I've wanted to see them for ages and I'm really excited. Hope I don't drink too much and wee myself.

See you all drekkly :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Piglottie said...

I adore your felted projects. The colours are amazing and the designs so unique. Hope you enjoyed the concert!

1:55 PM  
Blogger acrylik said...

I *love* the coffee pot cover - it's amazing!

After the felt making workshop I can really appreciate how much work is involved in making it from the raw fleece, so it sounds as though you do right to start from the tops.

How was the concert? Sounds like a lot of fun!

12:11 PM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Oh-o, don't know what 'mulesed' is... sounds pretty dire?
I think your felted coffee pot cosy is superb and no doubt totally unique and I want one!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Hi tutleymutley - I was reading your blog yesterday. When you were off on your travels recently you almost went past my house!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks PG and acrylik - I'm looking forward to being able to do more felt :)

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |