Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It's a jumbo problem

Some months back I bought a Jumbo flyer for my Ashford Traditional. It's never been right, the bobbins have always seemed a bit too long, it's noisy, you have to wrestle the wool as the flyer has a fierce pull. Yesterday I took it off to have a look at it and this is what I saw:













































Cracked to buggery! I'm not a happy bunny. I was unhappy with the overall feel of this when it arrived. It came at the same time as my Ashford skein winder, which I'm also not happy with. The winder squeaks and judders and just feels quite 'cheap' even though it was the same price as the competitors. I've started wondering if Ashford are cutting back on the quality of their raw materials or are unable to keep up with demand in some way. I had the choice of an Ashford niddy noddy or a Kromski niddy noddy a while back and I have to say the the Kromski won hands down due to sheer quality. I'm buying myself a new wheel next year and I'm not convinced it'll be an Ashford. I've emailed the poeple I bought the flyer from to see if they have any suggestions. I won't name them as they're very helpful and friendly and I don't want this to look like negative comments about them. It's not, it's about Ashford. Ho hum - we'll see what happens.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary-Lou said...

How very irritating for you! Hope you manage to get something sorted out

8:54 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh how annoying and here I am thinking of buying an Ashford Traveller but have been offered an used Kromski mmmmm I might have to have a re-think
Let us know how you get on with Ashford

10:17 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

What's interesting is that the standard flyer on my wheel is solid wood whereas the jumbo is plywood. Hmmm.

11:16 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Terrible to see and hear....I hope you will get some restitution out of the situation...I have a jumbo too, and have never really "enjoyed" using it as much as I thought I would before I purchased it.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |