Thursday, February 01, 2007

Textiles Bowl

I'm still doing the Textiles A level. My attendance has been sporadic for all the obvious reasons but I managed to finish the 2 first assignments. The first one was a cushion cover and a couple of A1 worksheets based on a piece of art of our choice. I chose a Georgia O Keefe piece as I loved the colours. It's all packed away in my portfolio at the moment so I can't photograph it but when it comes out again I will. What I can show you is the piece I finished yesterday. It's based on the theme of water and we had to develop our ideas and come up with a finished piece of our choice. I was intending to do a wall hanging but, best laid plans and all that, when I laid it out I wasn't happy. I took the central piece off and decided to turn it into this:



















I'm still pining for ceramics (damn those pesky glazes!) so it feels good to still be able to make vessels. I'm very pleased with it. I've got a shot of the insides but Blogger is playing silly bloggers so you'll have to wait for that. The inside is really shimmery with sparkly fibres and the photo doesn't do it justice.

Anyway - just thought I'd share one thing I've been up to :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

That looks absolutely beautiful, I love those colours - even without bummer blogger's help! You do seem to be finding your direction slowly - don't rush it. We'll be able to say "We knew 'er when she used to muck about with wool" LOL

8:43 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks Rita :)

3:15 AM  
Blogger Kath said...

That bowl is just beautiful! Good luck with the course.

4:16 PM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

That bowl is gorgeous and I can't wait to see the inside. Tantalising glimpse.

3:12 AM  
Blogger soubriquet said...

-As a potter who has somehow moved to other things, but is seeking to return, i just loved that piece!
I like the idea of materials used in unexpected ways.
Felts, I found, are much used in Finland, also Russia, and at -30 degrees c, you can be grateful to be wearing felt-lined boots. But to see a felted vessel, that for me is new.
I love the colours.
Was trying to find some paint just.... so, for my room.
Your colours are so like the copper/barium carbonate glazes used to great effect by Alan Peascod.
http://www.nga.gov.au/CraftedObject/details/144515.cfm
(On looking for that image, I found, sadly, that Alan passed away recently).

I'll be back to see more.
(Arrived via Minx's linx.)

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |