Sunday, October 29, 2006

Felted flowers

I've not been too well after ceramics last Thursday :( I did my first batch of glazing and by the time I left the class my face was covered in a horrible rash and I was dizzy, lightheaded and had chest pains and really weak muscles and brain fog supreme. Poor old me. Looks like ceramics might have to be struck off the to do list. I love it as well and am getting to grips with throwing at last.

Anyway some good news. My copy of Craftsman magazine arrived on Friday and blow me down if I wasn't in it! Well, my tea cosy that won at Wonderwool Wales was in it, to be more precise. I was very chuffed. Trouble was it's under my real name, not Cledry Yarner, so if anyone likes it and wants to buy one they won't be able to find it :( Never mind - it's my first time seeing my work in a magazine - I loved it!


Seeing as I haven't been well I've been trying out my needle felting stuff. It's easy, portable and doesn't need a lot of energy so it was ideal for this week. I've made some flower brooches which are needle felted then machine embroidered with shiny threads for a bit of embellishment. Here are the ones I've finished so far:























































The flowers themselves are 2-3 inches accross with the leaf being about 3/4 of an inch so they're a nice broochy size. I've attached a safety brooch pin to the back.
They're not as complicated or detailed as some of the marvellous creations you can see but for a first attempt I'm chuffed with them.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mary-Lou said...

I especially like the little bunch of roses! I just bought my daughter a starter needle felting kit at Ally Pally, and she's also peering over my shoulder st the moment, so hopefully for her, a bit of inspiration!

12:02 AM  
Blogger acrylik said...

The flowers are beautiful. Congrats on your appearance in Craftsman magazine!

1:10 AM  
Blogger artyfartykat said...

I love your felted flowers, they are gorgeous. I love the over stitching. I can`t believe they are your first attempt! Well done!

5:27 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

And chuffed you should be!! Kudoos on making it into Craftsman(ahem-persons) magazine! And those needle felted brooches are splendid! I hope you are feeling better after your ceramics class. I sympathize with you, I cannot expose myself to some of the clay bodies or glaze mixing either...for that matter, I have to watch what kind of dye bath I make....

3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oooh they are pretty! first two are my faves.. well done :)

1:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Congrats on having your work in a magazine- and such a distinguished one too! Your work is fabulous and I need to comment more often. Love the stitching on the flowers- you may have inspired me to dust off the sewing machine ;-)

9:56 AM  
Blogger artyfartykat said...

I don`t know if you`ve seen it, but your felted tea cosy is in Simply Knitting!
They are talking about Wonderwool Wales and have a photo of your cosy!
Whats it like to have a famous tea cosy!!
Just thought I`d let you know!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yes I saw it yesterday - wish they'd put my name on it but I'm still stupidly excited at seeing it in print :D

Well done for recognising it!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Love the flowers and the overstitching ;will try that sometime but I think my trusty old sewing machine might struggle :(

1:34 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Hi artis anne )
I bought a new machine that does drop feed so you can do free embroidery. I tried it with a plastic plate that goes over the feed dogs of my old one but that was no good. I'm hoping to do lots more machine embroidery so I feel it was a justified investment. It was only 100 squids from argos - much as I'd love a bernina (with their needlefelting attachments - drool)there's no way I could afford the 400 - 500 quid they cost.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |