Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Nothing that a hot bubble bath won't cure

Except this is where my bath should be:














When we moved in 4 years ago the landlord hadn't put in any carpets or lino in time. I looked at the floorboards on the upper level and said to my husband that they were rotten in places. 'Don't be so silly - they know what they're doing', came the reassuring reply. The bath has been slowly sinking ever since and when the tiles started cracking off the wall I asked my husband to take the panel off the bath. Surprise surprise, you could push a butter knife right through the floorboards as they were that rotten. Why doesn't 'I told you so' feel better?.

So, the builders have eventually arrived (it only took nearly 12 weeks for the landlord to get his act together) and with maximum noise, dust and upheaval we're getting a new floor.

Being noise sensitive and stuck in the house while they do the work I thought the best thing to do was find an activity that relaxes me. Out with the wheel and a few hundred grams of sheltland fleece and I managed to make this:





















I'm very pleased with it as it wasn't the random grab and spin I've been doing of late. I thought about it properly and graded the fleece according to colour. The photo doesn't show it off that well but it graduates in colour from very dark brown/black through to the whitest of their fleece. I'm also pleased as I managed to cram it all onto a standard ashford traditional bobbin so I didn't lose any of the continuity of colour. That's 278 yards of plied yarn on one of those leeetle bobbins. Well chuffed. I have a bag of matching fleece to do another skein so hopefully I'll be just as pleased with that. No idea what to make it into though. Any ideas?

At least I got away from the noise and dust yesterday - by going to the dentist! I had 3 mercury amalgam filling removed under really strict conditions. I had all sorts of rubber stuff in my mouth, a mask, and my face and nose were covered. It's an expensive and controversial treatment but if someone told me that drinking the pee of a sick yak would make me better I'd try it. I've got 9 more fillings to come out - he's doing one quadrant of my mouth at a time. I was told there could be side effects but - touch wood- I haven't had any. I didn't know what to expect but I definitely feel different, as if my head is somnehow clearer. I won't talk about it much as I seem to have a habit of rubbing scientists up the wrong way - lol. Anyway - it was a 200 mile round trip to the dentists and I managed to finish OH's sock:






















I started the 2nd one last night. I need to get it out of the way as I've bought a sock kit from web of wool to make the kids some socks. It seems like a really good deal. I can't wait for it to arrive.

4 Comments:

Blogger RooKnits said...

A house full of builders is no fun at all. I am glad you have found something to take your mind off all the noise and dust. The wool looks gorgeous.

5:42 AM  
Blogger sborja1 said...

Stacey, I understand that you made the wool of the photo. Is it right?
If yes, can you tell me if you sell it, and how, because it interest me to found wool "hand made". I want to try it.I give you my e-mail address:
g.lauro@tiscali.fr
Thank you

11:31 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

That skein is beautiful...the way it graduates in color is very unique! And the 278yds on the bobbin..wow!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Hi Stacey, lovely looking yarn. I enjoy spinning too. But I find it very hard to discepline myself to produce enough for an full sized garment! I've enjoyed reading your blog. Hope your bathrooms sorted soon.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |