Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The three S's

Socks, Snow and Someone get me out of here cos I've had enough.

Well, the North wind did blow and we did have snow - we seem to get it once a year now for about a day and always roughly at the same time of year. The boys loved it and I gave them a couple of hours off school so they could play in it with the 'reason' being we couldn't get up the track becasue of the snow. Well, we couldn't, it would have made nasty lines in the nice white snow - lol.
















I've had my first lot of mercury removed. It was ok - not as bad as I thought it was going to be and for a couple of days I felt a kind of clarity of thought that I hadn't experienced in years. I don't know if it's the stress of the builders and travelling to the dentists and the subsequent treatment or if it's a side effect of the amalgam removal but I've been completely poleaxed by the CFS/ME and an episode of depression the like of which I haven't experienced in many many years. It's been extremely scary and it's taken me to places I thought I'd never see again. I'm just trying to sit it out to see what it'll do. Still, moaning about it won't change a thing so let's talk about socks.

I finished OH's brown socks - I think he likes them. It's hard to tell with him - lol. I also finished one of Dougals' socks. He chose blue and he definitely likes them. I'm going to try to finish his 2nd one today so that he'll stop nagging me. 'If you want to finish them Mum, you'll have to start the other one'. Cheeky git :)




















There's the ubiquitous sock pic. The really good thing is that by working out how to make it smaller to fit him, the pattern suddenly makes mathematical sense and I can knit them without a pattern now. I've been thinking about spinning some of the poll dorset (which should be back in a month or so) into sock weght and dyeing it to self stripe and I should be able to write a pattern that suits me now.

I've been trying to keep busy for obvious reasons and found some white merino in my stash. I bought it before I knew about the abhorrent practice of 'mulesing' in the Australian wool trade. I'll use up what I have but I will not be buying any more until I can be absolutely certain it's from a source that doesn't see their animals merely as a money making commodity. Some of the practices that are used for food production are bad enough but to employ such a barbaric practice just so that we can have soft wool for our sweaters and socks is indefensible.

Anyway - with the merino that I had in my stash I decided to have a go at dyeing. It was hit and miss and as I was so low in energy my efforts were pretty slapdash.





















It was nice to see them drying in the breeze though, and it's given me a small amount of wool to try spinning some thick and thin yarns. This was my first effort





















I found it much more difficult than I thought it would be. It seems ironic that it's all I could produce when I first started spinning and now, when I want to, I find it hard.

Such is life eh?

7 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!!! I think it's important to have a space of your own, not just for creating, but just for being... good luck with your organization!!

I love your dyed merino- having it look slapdash is OK (it should look like a human did it). Also, I understand your frustration with spinning thick-and-thin yarn. I finally got to the point where I can spin a thin, even thread... and now I can't spin anything else!!!

On a more serious note- I am thinking of having my amalgams removed too... I just read an article about mercury in dental work, which scared the bejeezus out of me. It's interesting to hear an unsolicited testimonial to having it removed. OK, before I set a record for world's longest comment, I'll just say that I have heard Cornwall is beautiful and fully intend to visit there someday...

11:20 AM  
Blogger RooKnits said...

I am jealous of your snow, we don't see much of it here in London. How I miss sledging. I love the yarn you have dyed too. Amazing. I hope you are feeling better soon

3:16 PM  
Blogger sborja1 said...

We had snow last saturday, we live in country, up a little hill, so we were like you for a morning (after, the snow was water (I don't know the word) I am sorry you were so sick, hope you are better.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Hi, hope you are feeling better. winter's been really long and hard this year. The roving you dyed is going to spin up well look lovely. And good on you for mentioning mulesing, not many spinners and knitters are aware of the practice.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Oooh a deleted comment - that always sparks my paranoia....I mean interest - lol

12:45 AM  
Blogger PURLPOWER said...

I've heard a lot of other spinners say that you can't ever recreate those first thick n thin skeins...still haven't got round to putting my wheel together, I'm a bit worried that I might find it hard to spin with the fibro pains but I suppose I ain't going to know without trying am I....

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |