Monday, April 17, 2006

Arse! Arse! And thrice Arse!

I didn't want to be a dyer anyway :(

Yesterday I decided to try a new way of dyeing some skeins. I wondered what would happen if I sprinkled the dye in its powder form directly onto the wet yarn. So, I chucked it on, microwaved it and hung it out to dry. This morning I skeined it up again and fell in love! Here it is:




















I've spent all this afternoon trying to recreate it. Have I managed? Have I buggery! I've used the same colours in the same order, the same technique and everything to absolutely no avail. Here's what the rest have come out like:




















Arse!

Here's what they looked like as little sausages waiting to go into the microwave:
















I will valiantly carry on trying to recreate the wonder that is my beautiful skein if I have to use the entire 20 kilos to do it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I like all of those skeins!

I've just wandered over from Riverrim to check out some new (to me) blogs and discovered that you've discovered my blog already. It's so neat to find out who all is here in blogworld - I had no idea how many garden and fiber folks there are.

Thanks for the link!

Karen

10:10 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Wow! That first skein is a beauty...then again ...they all look pretty nice to me! Looks like you have been having fun with the dye pot (errr..microwave!)

1:53 PM  
Blogger sborja1 said...

I didn't know people can dye in microwave!
Wonderful for me to read your blog, you teach me new words, as in the title! (I am joking)
You know, I like the green ones, too, but it is nethertheless a mystery, the difference!
The project of shop that we have, my sister and I, go on its little way. It is very difficult in France to open a shop, lot of papers for administration and so on, but we have not given up.
Don't give uo for dye, too!!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

Hey! Thanks for linking to me.

You might not like the skeins you dyed, but I think they're pretty. Consistency does seem tricky when dealing with dyes.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Minnieknits said...

That first skein is beautiful but you just know that Sods law is against you ever recreating those colours !

3:34 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Hi Cherry - yes it's wonderwool wales we're going to. Will you be there?

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |