Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What a fab two days

I am absolutely kernackered but boy was it worth it. I managed to do both days of the workshop despite it being really physical. I had a few hairy moments where I thought it was going to prove too much and the floor was going to come up to meet my head but thankfully I remained conscious throughout the entire two days! The first day we made a beret which could either be round or square. I chose round and added a bit of silk and a 'dreadlock' and it came out
like this:























It's a nice enough hat but I can't get it to look quite right on me. I think I need to make it a bit less 'puffy' and perhaps a bit smaller. Still, for a first attempt I'm really pleased with it.
Day two saw us moving onto much more adventurous territory and making 'fancy hats'. Everyones hats turned out beautifully but we were all wondering where we can wear them in Cornwall! I love mine and although I may never wear it I will definitely stroke it at least once a day - lol!





















It was a fantastic 2 days and throughout the whole event I had to keep reminding myself that this was an artist of international reknown and she was in a tiny village in West Cornwall teaching a group of mad women. Here's the lady herself helping someone put the finishing touches to their hat:















The whole thing had a really special feel about it and it'll be a very happy memory for me for a long time to come.

7 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Oh gawd, I know that feeling! You did well to stay with it, and what groovy results! There's nothing Frank Spencer about that beret :) And the fancy hat is a stunner! I couldn't get away with either of them (my head wasn't built for hats) but you must wear them with pride.

1:57 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

very cool hats...sounds like it was a great workshop..love the colors on the fancy hat...and the dreadlock ...how fun!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Gosh! Those hats are brilliant. I love the curly dreadlock and the fancy hat is fantastic. You MUST wear it!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger acrylik said...

Your hats are absolutely fantastic! Wear them anyway! That's what I say! But then I love hats... You are so lucky to have had such an inspirational workshop nearby - I shall have to keep an eye out for a gem like that near us.

7:34 AM  
Blogger CraftyPerson said...

Oh my goodness! Why didn't you tell me you were going to do that workshop with CAH? I'd have packed Steve off home on the train and squatted in your new workroom till the workshop!!!!
I am so envious!!!!!
Ruth
www.craftypeople.blogspot.com

2:01 PM  
Blogger sixmitts said...

Those are sooooo coool! I love the curly Q dreadlock. What a great topper. And the fancy hat is so extreme. Love it!

3:55 PM  
Blogger T said...

Stacey, I don't know if this is any use (not being a spinner and all) but GetKnitted has some Lorna's Laces wool top for spinning for about half price in their sale section.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |