Saturday, October 07, 2006

More pics #2

If at first you don't succeed move to typepad :) I'm pretty fed up with the inconsistencies of Blogger but can't face another HTML fest so will stick with it for the time being.

When I looked at Cyndy's blog recently I saw she was knitting a lovely scarf. It looked like just what I wanted to make for my Mum's Christmas present and Cyndy said it was fairly straightforward so I thought I'd give it a go. Bearing in mind that Cyndy is a complete whizz at whatever she turns her hand to I was a bit trepidacious about 'straightforward' lol. However, after a few stumbling starts and stops I've got this far with it:




















This pic shows the stitch pattern a bit more clearly















The more experienced of you will no doubt see mistakes in the pattern (for there are many!) but it's good enough for me and my mum won't notice. The only problem is that I'm making it from the graduated yarn I spun last spring and I didn't spin it all in one go. Big mistake. The second batch I've spun is nothing like the first. The maths has gone a bit wobbly and it just looks completely different. I'll soldier on and see what happens and call it a design feature :)
Anyway - thanks Cyndy for pointing me towards the pattern at Spindlicity. It's been my first attempt at following a chart and I think I'll definitely do it again.

Lastly, I'm halfway through my first attempt at shibori felting. I've wanted to do this for ages but didn't want to try with handspun. BSK have a sale on at the moment so I bought some cones of handwash wool. I made a long thin scarf on the knitting machine, scrunched it in places and tied in some glass beads. Then I bunged it in the washing machine. This is how it looks so far




















I'm waiting for it to dry a bit more and then I'll take the beads out. I'm really pleased with it. I quite like chucking things in the wash to see how they'll come out. I never thought Mrs Pernickety Knickers was going to move out of my head and let me be more 'loose' but it appears that she's gone on her hols for a bit (probably haranguing Moroccan waiters about the cleanliness of the crockery) Wherever she's gone I'm happy :) I might embellish it with some needle felting and make a little fused pin for it. It's the ideal size and shape for a neckwarmer. Next week I'll definitely try some more.

Well, that's all for now folks. I hope to post a lot sooner next time. I'd like to say 'Hi' to my new readers. I love looking at my stats and seeing where people are posting from. I find the technology behind the stats fascinating. To be able to see peoples IP addresses, where they're posting from, what browser they're using and even what size their computer screen is is amazing, don't you think?

Cheery bye for now :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Love the Shibori scarf - great colour!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks - it's dry now so I might fiddle with it on the sofa tonight after I've scoffed my roast beef :)

2:42 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

oh love that scarf; what an exciting idea , look forward to seeing it when its finished.
I totally agree, I love to check out my counter and see where folks post from ,its amazing.
Yes I wondered why I called my new wheel a she !! but it just feels right

2:19 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hey! The falling leaves scarf looks great! (mine is full of mistakes too, those YO's throw me off sometimes, and I wind up purling 40 on some rows, instead of the 41 I should have! its only my second chart pattern)...
AND I'm getting fed up with Blogger myself..but the devil ya know is better than the one ya don't...

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf
uk knitters
Previous | Join | List | Next | Random |